Connect and Compete! KPBSD Battle of the Book 2017
Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail shall keep KPBSD Battle of the Books team members from answering this question, "In what book?" Despite winter weather which caused late starts at some schools, Battle of the Books once again took place across the KPBSD. This year's battles included 62 teams across 4 grades levels for students in grades 3-12. Students in grades K-2 can also participate, but only at the building level.
All KPBSD battles took place using Skype for Business video conference. Students loved being able to "see" the competition. In addition to using Skype for battles, a Battle Canvas course was created where coaches accessed all needed battle materials and information and discussions took place. Google was used during battles to report scores and chat with Battle Central (Karla Barkman) when needed. Battle coaches were exposed to many different technologies this year and did a fabulous job. Our KPBSD student battlers did an awesome job as well. Battles were held in February.
Battle of the Books is a statewide reading and comprehension program sponsored by the Alaska Association of School Librarians. The goals of the program are to encourage and recognize students who enjoy reading, broaden reading interests, increase reading comprehension, and promote academic excellence. All this is accomplished through a game-show style competition known simply as "BOB".
Lists of books are chosen and questions are written for all the grade levels. Students read the books (12 titles for Grades 3-6 and 10 titles for Grades 7-12), quiz each other, learn title and author information, and compete in teams of no more than three students attempting to score as many points as possible answering questions related to the books. Battle questions all begin with the words, "In which book". Students are allowed thirty seconds to confer with team members and come up with an answer which is always the title and author of a book on the list.
Congratulations to the following teams that made it to the final round of competition!
Grades 3 & 4
Grades 5 & 6
- 1st Place - Soldotna Connections
- 2nd Place - Homer Connections
- 3rd Place - West Homer Elementary
- 4th Place - Seward Elementary
- 1st Place - Cooper Landing
- 2nd Place - West Homer Elementary
- 3rd Place - Soldotna Connections
- 4th Place - Homer Connections
- 5th Place - Soldotna Elementary
- 1st Place - Cooper Landing
- 2nd Place Tie - Homer Middle
- 2nd Place Tie - Kenai Middle
- 4th Place - Skyview Middle
- 1st Place - Voznesenka
- 2nd Place Tie - Homer High
- 2nd Place Tie - Soldotna High
- 4th Place - Nikiski High
State Battles were held the beginning of March. Each of our 1st place district teams went on to state competition and did a great job finishing as follows.
- Soldotna Connections (Grades 3 & 4) - 6th place out of 33 teams
- Cooper Landing (Grades 5 & 6) - 9th place out of 35 teams
- Cooper Landing (Middle School) - 6th place out of 27 teams
- Voznesenka (High School) - 7th place out of 23 teams
Book lists for next year's battles will be chosen by librarians, teachers and battle coaches at a title selection workshop on March 25. The new lists will be posted at the State Battle of the Book's website soon thereafter.
Article contributed by Karla Barkman, District Battle of the Books Coordinator