E 1312a Public Complaints Concerning Schools

KPBSD Policy Manual


Community Relations
Public Complaints Concerning the Schools

When problems, concerns or complaints arise regarding the School District, its practices or personnel, there are processes in place to help facilitate the resolution of those issues. Policy 1312.1 Public Complaints Concerning School Personnel governs the complaints process, and it is addressed in the Parent Student Handbook, in the Complaints Concerning Schools section.

Often when there are concerns about children and their education, emotions run high. The District believes conflict can and should be dealt with in a respectful, timely manner. To promote fair and constructive communication, every effort should be made to resolve a complaint at the earliest possible stage at the local level. Often, by just asking for an explanation or an accommodation, a situation can be resolved.

School based decision making site councils function as an advisory body in the joint planning and problem solving processes for improving student learning that occur at the local school level. Each school has a site council and members of the public can attend and/or request a concern be placed on the agenda.

cf. 0420 School-Based Decision Making/Site Councils)
cf. E 0420(b) KPBSD Site-Based Improvement Councils )

Oral complaints

The first step in resolving a problem is addressing it with the person or people involved. If that is not possible or successful, address the problem with the immediate supervisor in the setting in which the concern is raised. If the problem is in a school, contact the principal or assistant principal. If the problem involves a principal, contact the appropriate District department using the phone numbers listed below.

Written complaints

A written complaint form, E 1312b Complaint Form, is available online as part of School Board policy. Written complaints regarding District personnel should be filed with that person's immediate supervisor. If the complaint is against a principal or District administrator, the complaint form should be filed with the Superintendent. If the complaint is against the Superintendent, the form should be filed with the School Board President.

If resolution is not achieved at the school level, contact the appropriate District Office department:

  • Elementary Education, (907) 714-8885
  • Secondary Education, (907) 714-8884
  • Small Schools, (907) 714-8892
  • Assistant Superintendent of Instruction, (907) 714-8858

If a concern involves a special education student, contact:

  • Pupil services, (907) 714-8881

If a concern involves student transportation, contact:

  • Transportation Services, (907) 714-8824

Other Kenai Peninsula Borough School District departments that may be helpful are:

  • ELL Program, (907) 714-8892
  • Health Services, (907) 714-7355
  • Student Nutrition, (907) 714-8890
  • Title I (economically disadvantaged), (907) 714-8892

Instructional materials

If a complaint involves instructional materials, a concerned staff member, district resident or parent/guardian of a student may fill out and submit an E 1312.2(a) Request for Reconsideration for Instructional Materials form, available online. The form should be submitted to a principal and the complaint will be considered by the Instructional Review Committee. The committee will make a recommendation to the School Board, which will make a decision whether to allow or remove the material in question. More information on the reconsideration of materials process is available in BP 6161.1 Selection and Evaluation of Instructional Materials.

Appealing disciplinary decisions

If a parent/guardian or student of legal age wishes to appeal a disciplinary decision resulting in a suspension of 10 days or more, they may fill out the E 5144.11(a) Notice of Appeal form, available online as part of District policy, and submit it to the school principal. More information on the appeal process is available in the Parent Student Handbook in the Discipline section, and BP 5144.1 Suspension and Expulsion.

Appealing activities infraction decisions

The Kenai Peninsula Student Activities Association (KPSAA) governs student participation in cocurricular activities. The KPSAA policy on due process is BP and AR 5144.11 Due Process.


Revised: 11/05/2018