Substitute Information

Thank you for your interest in substituting with the Kenai Peninsula Borough School District. All substitutes must be registered at the District Office. To be an approved substitute, you must complete the following:

  • Online Application ( Teacher Application / Support Application)
  • Copy of License or Certificate (if applicable to position)
  • If applying to be a substitute teacher, you must provide:
    1. High School Diploma or recognized equivalent (Non-Certified)
    2. Valid Alaska Certificate - Teaching, Administrator, Special Services (Certified)
  • Substitute forms include:
    • KPBSD Safety Training on
      • First time users will receive an activation email from
      • Returning users should login with their existing credentials after receiving the course enrollment email

    Absence Management (AESOP) Login

    Substitute Pay Scale

    Food Worker Card

    • required for substitute food service
    • not eligible for reimbursement


    2021 Summer Update - for those who were active substitutes during the 2020-21 school year and wish to return as a substitute for the 2021-22 school year.

    If you do not substitute within a 2 year time period, your file will be purged.


    Under IRS regulation, a bona fide separation of employment is required after retirement from a PERS or TRS position. Retirees are also required at the time of retirement to certify that no prearrangement for reemployment in any capacity with the same employer has been made for the restricted period.

    If you are under age 62, the restricted period for rehire is six (6) months after the effective retirement date. If you are age 62 or over, the restricted period is sixty (60) days after the effective retirement date.

    There are consequences and potential penalties if a retiree returns to work before the restricted period elapses or for prearrangement of employment. For further information, please contact the state of Alaska, Division of Retirement and Benefits at (800) 821-2251 or visit their website at

    If you have any questions, please contact the Human Resources Department at (907) 714-8888.

    Substitute Teacher Application

    Substitute Support Application

    To complete the application process, visit our Substitute Application page by clicking on the button above.