Frequently Asked Questions

Certified or Administrator

Do I have to have my certification before I can apply for a job? You do not have to have to have your Alaska Certification; you have to be eligible to obtain your Alaska Certification

How many years of service can I bring in?

  • Teacher: KPBSD recognizes a maximum of 6 full years of contracted public school or accredited teacher experience.
  • Administrator: KPBSD allows the amount of 7 years or their actual administrative experience whichever is less.

If I have signed a contract with another district, can I still be interviewed or considered for a position? No

What are the incentives for working at a remote site?  Click here for the latest Remote Site Living Incentives / Expenses.

Relocation or Moving expenses: All employees (new and current) who are moving to an Across the Water School. (Port Graham, Nanwalek, Susan B. English, and Tyonek)

  1. Must provide receipts
  2. Eligible for up to $2,500 moving expenses.

Do we have teacher housing? Yes, teacher housing is available at these fly in schools :Port Graham, Nanwalek and Tyonek

What benefits are offered? Health Care Coverage, Life Insurance & Retirement Benefits (eligibility based on FTE), Paid Leave (including personal and sick leave)


  • Am I considered certified if I have an out of state certificate? No
  • Will I be reimbursed for my physical or TB test? No


  • What is a paraprofessional?The ParaPro Assessment measures the reading, writing and basic math competencies of practicing and prospective paraprofessionals. In accordance with the No Child Left Behind Act, the ParaPro Assessment can be used to certify teacher's aides and assistants in the instruction of these subjects to school children.
  • What are the requirements to be a Tutor? Two years (at least 48 credit hours) of post-secondary education in liberal arts, education, child development, or other appropriate field - official transcripts or highly qualified status with the Kenai Peninsula Borough School District must be on file at the KPBSD Human Resource Office.


  • When do I have to renew my volunteer application? Each July all volunteers are sent an email asking if they would like to resubmit their application to be a volunteer for the next school year. When you receive this email please follow instructions to resubmit your volunteer application.
  • What if I don't want to provide a social security number or date of birth? The social security number and date of birth are necessary for us to complete a back ground check. If you do not want to type in your social security number and date of birth you may call our Human Resource office and provide them with the information.


  • When should I complete the forms and submit all documents needed for hire? As soon as you accept a position you will be emailed all necessary documentation to complete. Once the documentation is completed and returned to Human Resources you will then be given a hire date.
  • Will having references on file increase my chances for employment? You must have 3 confidential reference surveys in your application before you can be offered a position. However, if you do not have 3 confidential reference surveys it will not stop you from being interviewed.
  • When will I be contacted for an interview? Once the position has closed (no longer viewable on our website) the site administrator will review all submitted applications and select the applicants to interview. If you are selected for an interview the site administrator will contact you.
  • Will I be contacted if I am not selected for a position? If you are not selected for a position, you will receive an email letting you know the position has been filled.
  • What does it mean when a job posting says interim? An advertised interim position is for a current employee that is on an approved leave of absence.
  • Are there criminal offenses that will limit my job opportunities? Yes, a felony.
  • Will KPBSD accept paper applications? No
  • How do I submit a paper reference letter? You may fax, email or hand-deliver a reference letter to Human Resources and they will upload it into your application. In order for it to be considered CONFIDENTIAL it must come from the reference directly.
  • When does a job posting close that states "open until filled"? A position is required to remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. However, if a position is marked "open until filled" the site administrator has the option to close the position any time after the minimum 5 business days.
  • If I see another position I would like to apply for, do I need to complete another application? No, you can simply log into your application and select the position you are interested in, complete additional required pages in your application, and select "Finish & Submit".
  • It says not submitted on my application by a job I am interested in, what does this mean? This means that you have not selected the "Finish & Submit" tab at the bottom left of the application. You will not be considered for the position if you do not have a date submitted next to the job you are interested in on your application.
  • How do I know if you have received my application? You will receive an email notification stating your application has been submitted for the position.
  • The Principal/Administrator has offered me a position, what happens next? You will be emailed a hire packet to complete and return to Human Resources as soon as possible.

Disclaimer: All answers are subject to change

Who do I contact if I have more questions?

Human Resources – or 907-714-8888