A survey for the two reconfiguration options for 7-8-9 Soldotna schools is open May 13-23, 2013. Click, Take the survey now.
A decision will be made June 3, 2013, confirming the configuration and location of 7-8-9 grade Soldotna schools and will take effect with the school year beginning in August 2014, but two reconfiguration choices exist for 7-8-9, therefore your input is requested. Thank you for your time and interest.
7-8-9 options, Click here to add your preference to the online survey.
• One 7-8 grade school located at the current Skyview campus, approximately 400 students.
• One 9th grade located at the current SMS campus in a “9th Grade House” with walking access to the 10-11-12 school for upper level or specialized elective classes and sports, approximately 200 students.
• River City Academy (7-12) relocated to the existing SMS campus.
• Two separate 7-8-9 grade schools, each with approximately 300 students.
• One 7-8-9 school located at the current Soldotna Middle School (SMS) campus and one 7-8-9 located at the current Skyview campus.
• River City Academy (RCA) would remain at its current location at Skyview campus.
On April 1, 2013, the KPBSD Board of Education approved an amended motion to reconfigure Soldotna area high schools into one high school for grades 10-12, to be located at the current Soldotna High School: school board meeting.
The Soldotna schools reconfiguration for grades 7-12 will start in August 2014, at the beginning of the school year.
- June 3, 2013: School board meeting, 7:00 p.m., recommendation for 7-8-9 Soldotna schools reconfiguration
- May 13-23, 2013: Soldotna 7-8-9 schools reconfiguration survey open
- May 7, 2013: Community focus group
- May 6, 2013: Dr. Atwater announced the reconfigurations will take place in August 2014
- April 1, 2013: School Board approves one 10-11-12 grade Soldotna area high school
- March 4, 2013: school board work session prior to School Board Meeting
- February 12, 2013: principal work group reconvenes to discuss individual school meetings
- February 11- 22, 2013: feedback welcomed by principals and the District (electronic or paper feedback forms)
- February 11, 2013: meetings held at ten schools in Soldotna and greater area
- Late February: feedback to be reviewed by the work group
Please read the most recent principal working group meeting summary
Principals from K-Beach Elementary School; Redoubt Elementary School; Skyview High School; River City Academy; Soldotna Elementary School; Soldotna Montessori Charter School; Soldotna High School; Soldotna Middle School; Sterling Elementary School; and Tustumena Elementary School together with school district administration began meeting in March 2012 to discuss how to best meet the educational needs of students and future students from these ten K-12 KPBSD schools.
- March 4, 2013: PowerPoint PDF presented at school board work session
- February 12, 2013
- February 11, 2013 PowerPoint PDF shared at the ten schools
- January 24, 2013
- January 10, 2013
- November 27, 2012
- October 11, 2012
- August 30, 2012
- April 30, 2012
- March 29, 2012